Monday, January 26, 2015

Pete Wentz on Ashley Simpson Divorce

Pete Wentz opened up to Howard Stern recently about his divorce from Ashely Simpson. Us Weekly quotes Wentz as saying the following:
"At 31, we'd had all these great years as a band, and then we took time off, and I basically became Mr. Mom. I had the beard, the flannel shirt. I didn't know what my identity was. That factored in. When your identity is what you do, it's hard when you stop doing it. It was the first time where I was like, 'Well, no one's really taking my picture. I'm just basically hanging out with my kid all day. Who cares?' I think when you stop caring about your personal appearance, your personal hygiene, it makes you even more depressed, but it makes you do it more. It's like a vicious cycle."

He also said that the couple didn't know how to fight fair:
"I think there's an important thing where you know how to fight, because you can fight with somebody and it's not the end of everything. But if you don't know how to have those arguments, then they become nuclear. And we were doing this all in the public eye, which doesn't help."

11 comments:

  1. Maybe he didn't mean it to sound like he'd rather have his picture snapped than to take care of his friggin' child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds very honest to me. Depression comes in all kinds of forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta say it. I think if I married into the Simpson family I'd be pretty depressed too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, at least he's gained some insight into it all now. It's tough sometimes to know when to get out of a relationship. Worse, I'd think, if you have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's always come off as a very honest, introspective man. Almost too mature for Assley. Doesn't sound like he's discussing their divorce as much as he's discussing what happens when the public doesn't want to hear your music or the paparazzi don't find you worth following anymore. Losing your popularity. Wasn't it revealed that he loved to read the gossip columns (CDAN) to see what people were saying?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee a man who knows what women go through when they have kids and stay at home...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL @Tina
    2006 was the year of Pete's downfall. He got together with Asslee when his life was hitting a huge low. He had just got called out for ripping off work by Boston hardcore legend Wes Eisold and had massive out of court settlement issues. In the process, he pissed off some very dangerous people who made his life hell. He made a bad mistake but I actually feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get what he's saying. I think it's similar when a mom goes from working full-time and dressing up for the office to being on maternity leave or being a SAHM. I think it's easy to feel like you don't have a reason to dress up or put on make up or other normal habits because no one but your kid is going to see you anyway. His normal was being in the public eye and getting papped and that changed. I don't think it means that he preferred that to taking care of his kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is insightful, losing your identity. I don't think he's saying it's because he didn't want to care for his child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boo fucking Hoo Pete. It's called being married and having kids. What the hell is he talking about - you have to know how to fight? Like there's a booklet? You know the only reason their personal bullshit was ever in the public eye is because they whore themselves out to the media. There are tons of famous people who are never in the public eye outside of their movies or tv shows. Because they value their privacy and protect it. You can't have it both ways Pete.

    ReplyDelete