Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Sir Michael Gambon Retiring From The Stage

Sir Michael Gambon, who famously played Albus Dumbledore in the later Harry Potter movies, is retiring from stage roles due to memory loss. The BBC quotes Gambon as saying, "It's a horrible thing to admit, but I can't do it. When the script's in front of me it takes me forever to learn it. It's frightening." It appears that Gambon will still be able to perform on screen; he will next appear in the BBC's adaptation of the JK Rowling novel The Casual Vacancy.

7 comments:

  1. Bless his heart. Aging is cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for him. Its a wise man who knows when to quit. Funnily ebough, i dreamed i kept putting off memorizing my part in a two person play, and the dream was me putting it off, losing the script, a rainstorm, and making out with a hot young rabbi. Later i discovered my house had 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms i never used. I have some doozies!!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Maigret and Gosford Park and Emma and The King's Speech and so much more.

    Gambon's 74 and has been around forever. Since TV and movies are shot in small slices, I'm sure remembering lines is easier than learning an entire play (and retaining it).

    Good luck to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who had an accident and it ruined his short term memory which as an actor is the death knell to your career. I feel for this gentleman....Luckily film pays nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read this. I'm not familiar with his work but this has to be devastating for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The singing detective. Nuff said. I adore him as an actor.

    ReplyDelete