Monday, March 2, 2015

True Blood Actor Stephen Moyer Talks Sobriety

Stephen Moyer attended an event at the CLARE Foundation in Santa Monica on Friday, where he discussed his 14 years of sobriety. The Hollywood Reporter quotes the actor as follows, when talking about the fact that his sobriety is well known:

"As my wife said this morning, there isn't a restaurant in Venice or Santa Monica where I would be offered the wine menu. The Diet Coke, which is the Patron Saint of drinks for alcoholics, gets put before me before anyone even asks what we're drinking. Self-loathing motivates the desire to get loaded in the first place, and post-sobriety, there is the shame of admitting all of your [faults]. It's about education. And it's about getting rid of that shame/"

The actor went to rehab in England years ago, at a facility that was able to work out a program which he could afford. 

10 comments:

  1. I had no idea he was a recovering alcoholic. Is there a memo that goes around Venice and Santa Monica with the AA attendance list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no secrets in Hollywood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. Good for him. As someone who quit drinking about 1.5 years ago, the diet coke thing made me laugh. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bet anna ccd a memo to the restaurants/bars
    i had no idea he was in aa either but he was still shitty on trueblood
    filling the alcohol void with lots of lovers huh??
    they have an open marriage anyways

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's sweet. I hear too much about vultures taking advantage of rich addicts. Congrats Vampire Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for him. I especially admire the dumping the shame. I get that shame is used as a motivator in some therapies but it's not a path I support.

    Don't know about the diet coke. This Guido lives on salty San Pellegrino water.


    Mazel Tov to fourteen and counting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +1@QAG I agree with you on the shame. I think it's counterproductive and one of the main reasons I would relapse.

      Good for him, though. But, no... not Diet Coke.

      Delete
    2. diet coke has so much caffeine in it - my head would spin

      Delete
  7. Frankly if I want a non alcoholic beverage instead of a beer a sparkling water w/ a squeeze of lemon is my drink of choice. Diet Coke/Pepsi is so sweet. Good on him for 14 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sherry, that sounded so good, I just went and made one for myself! I love that SodaStream. :)

      Delete