Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Ryan Phillippe Is Depressed

Recently, Ryan Phillippe sat down for an interview with Elle Magazine. In the interview, he opens up about his depression. The magazine quotes him as follows:

"You know, depression has been a huge obstacle for me ever since I was a child. As you get older I think it decreases some, but I'm just innately kind of a sad person. I'm empathetic, and I take on the feelings of others and transpose myself onto the position of others. It can ruin our fucking life. I'd prefer to suffer through the sadness than to be a complete moron with no feelings [though]. I'm way funnier than people know me to be. And it's a dark humor, like a gallows humor. I think that's where, if you do carry any of that sadness or depression, your humor does tend to be a little darker than most people."


Read the full interview at Elle

9 comments:

  1. As someone who deals with depression, I can truthfully say I would rather be a complete moron with no feelings, as he so eloquently put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy is such a tool. I can not stand a wannabe polymath. If he wants to cheer up and give himself a good laugh he should watch Catch Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get the hate. He only married Laura Jeanne because she had a case of the babies. IMHO that's never the way to go about things - marriage or kids.

    The very last thing a young dude wants is to go from player to dad with a pipe and cardigan sweater. Yeah, I'd be depressed too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He also called himself a polymath in this interview and claimed to be liberating a small country. Fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought the headline read Ryan Philippe is deceased. I wouldn't wish depression on anyone. It's a bitch to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read the full article, but what I see here, gives me some serious eye rolling. He obviously is a narcissist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who has struggled with depression since early childhood, I can relate to what he's saying. I still don't like him, I think he comes off like a prick but I get where he's coming from. I think you have a different view of depression when Its something you've known your entire life versus experiencing it as an adult only. I can see how his comment regarding being a completely moron without feelings would be really offensive especially when many with depression would much rather feel nothing than feel horrible. But I agree with him, depression made me who I am, it defines me and I've had to always live with it. If you took it away I fee like I would be nothing, blank and no emotions and I wouldn't know who I am anymore. Of course I still try to treat my depression, I don't just wallow in it but for those who have suffered their entire life, it's so intertwined into who you are you can't separate the depression from yourself. So I get what he is saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You might as well be in my head, though I couldn't have put it so well. Your explanation made a penny drop for me. Thank you, a n d best wishes living the struggle x

      Delete