Friday, January 2, 2015

Gwyneth Paltrow, Weight Loss Guru (Sans Snark!)

Hollywood Hairstylist David Babaii recently sat down with E! to talk about his 135 pound weight loss, and how Gwyneth Paltrow was instrumental in helping him to take off the pounds. Three years ago, he weight 285 pounds, and mentioned to Paltrow while he was doing her hair that he wanted to lose weight. Paltrow non-judgmentally asked him how he wanted to accomplish that, and once hearing his answer, helped him to achieve his goals. Any time that he was hungry and feeling in danger of breaking his diet, he would email Paltrow, and she would reply immediately with a food or recipe suggestion and words of encouragement. With good guidance from Paltrow and a trainer at Equinox, Babaii was able to drop 135 pounds in an insanely short amount of time - just four months! He has been able to keep all of the weight off for the last three years. E! quotes a recent tribute to Paltrow on Babaii's Facebook page:

"I hope this can show him that if I can do it then really anyone can," he wrote in the post. "I did not love myself and food was my best friend till one day I looked at myself I mean really looked at myself and thought I need help and I want to love myself again so my dear friend @gwynethpaltrow helped me get myself to understand that I'm worth it and I am loved and that I should love myself. She did not look down at me or judge me."

14 comments:

  1. Well, good for him! And what a nice thing for her to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I think she really does mean well and is a nice person. She just is clueless and as I said before, should really just keep her mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barf. Thanks Gwyneth I just lost my breakfast, I'm pounds lighter now too.

    Congrats to him, it's gotta be hard work keeping that much weight off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally!! A positive dtory about Gwennie! And good for hairdresser losing the weight!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure he was in no way paid to say this in an effort to repair her image. Not a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's either PR repair, or Fishsticks is laying the groundwork for some weight-loss (cr)app she wants to goop us with in 2015. Smart move - that's where the money is.

      Delete
  6. My only concern is losing 135 pounds in 4 months - losing 135 pounds in one year is a feat and in the long run a better plan because I believe if you lose the weight slower whilst you are doing the right kind of exercises esp toning you won't end up with all that horrible loose skin which is going to cost a lot of money to remove surgically. And if you have to do the arms, there is no place to hide the scars, the scars are almost worse than the batwings. Just saying. You see all those people who do gastric bypass surgery and some of them look like sharpeis. I remember there was a man who lost 100 pounds in about six months and he had loose skin every part of his body even though he run every day and was starting to do marathons but the loose skin was driving him crazy and the surgery to remove it was extensive and scary. Now depending on other things you might still end up looking like a sharpei but I think you have a better chance of not and also not gaining the weight back if you lose it a bit more slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they did an experiment where they had a control group exercise furiously and with very low caloric intake to lose weight rapidly and they found that a year later the people were thinner and kept the weight off. I'm talking like 300 calories a day. Not what they thought would happen.

      Delete
    2. My bestie lost 55kg (via Jenny Craig) in nine months. She didn't look particularly large, but now she's 55kg-ish she looks ah-may-zeeeeng! Anyhoo, she didn't do any exercise (lazybones), nor did she end up with loose skin. She's managed to keep most of it off, bar about 10kg.

      It's far easier to lose the weight than it is to maintain it.

      Delete
    3. There are other factors though - age, how long you've been overweight and genetics. Some people just have skin that snaps back others do not. The younger you are I think the more likely the skin can recover. And there are always exceptions to any rule but I'd rather try to avoid that skin surgery if possible. If you watch that show on TLC, people who are 400, 500 or more pounds, they go on gastric bypass they are going to need that surgery. That doctor will do that surgery at a certain weight point to help get the patients to that last goal and sometimes the skin is just all in the way. Yuk.

      In terms of eating 300 calories a day, I don't know how any normal person can function on that little every day unless you are lying in bed all day- let alone exercising furiously. The brain needs fuel to work. I'd like to see that study.

      Delete
  7. Was thinking the same as @Dena, it all sounds like a tacky Dr. Oz - Garcinia online ad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sceptical ... she responded immediately? Really? What about when she was traveling/picking up kids from school/at photo shoots/giving numerous interviews on how she's so perfect ... I'm calling BS on this attempt to make her look somewhat caring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm skeptical too. That's more than a pound a day. You can do this for a day or two, but that pace for 4 months seem impossible.

    ReplyDelete