Thursday, January 21, 2016

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's Rachel Bloom Talks Double Standards

Crazy Ex Girlfriend's Rachel Bloom recently sat down for an interview with the Huffington Post, where she talked about double standards. The site quotes her as follows:

"On the show we talk about the contradictory messages women are given, but it's funny because women are praised for looking young, 'Oh, at her age she looks so young!' Yet if it's found out that they had plastic surgery, it's, 'Oh, that phony bitch! She had plastic surgery!' What do you expect people to do if you're not going to give them parts when they have a crow's foot, and then they go and get Botox and you're like, 'Oh, why don't you just be yourself!' It's hard. It's double talk and double standards. It's like, be honest, but don't be too honest. Look fresh-faced and young, but don't tell us how you got there. God forbid you have plastic surgery, even though we're telling you, 'Oh, you look old.' Be a career woman, but also why aren't you having kids? Are you some kind of cold shrew?' " 

On writing vs. acting:
"I think writing and creating feels like it's given me power over that, it feels like a way for me to take control of my own image. I think in my heart I'm more a writer than an actor because writers don't have to worry about appearance, you just have to worry about what's on the page. I'm still in this place of what's best for the joke, not what's best for how my waist looks in this top."


No comments:

Post a Comment