Thursday, January 21, 2016

Katie Holmes Talks Confidence

Katie Holmes recently sat down for an interview with More magazine, where she talked about confidence. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"I feel more creative. I feel ready...[As a teen actress] I had no life experience. I felt, 'I don't have anything to bring. I don't know what it's like to be, say, really angry. I'm doing the best I can.' But with age I've gained confidence. I understand the kind of stories I want to tell. I have more experience in the business. I feel more certain.

I like to be around people who make me learn something. I gravitate toward people who are doing things I don't know how to do. [Being intimidated] is a waste of time. Just ask if you don't know something. Ask. You're probably going to make a mistake. Get over it … Some problems are never going to be solved. So dance them off, and you'll feel better." 

On directing herself in All We Had:
"[It] was like a marathon, but I didn't have time to second-guess myself. And it wasn't going to do anyone any good if I did. I stay calm. 'Oh, we only have one camera today? I thought we had two. OK, adjust.' It's similar to, 'We have no food at home, and you have to eat something soon. I have crackers in the bottom of my purse—that'll buy me 20 minutes.' Ha! You keep going, no matter what.'"

On portraying a bipolar character in Touched With Fire:
"I gained a greater empathy for people who are struggling with mental illness. Before the movie, I'd hear something about it and think, 'Wow. But that's over there.' Unfortunately, we're quick to judge, especially in this day of social media and the Internet—which I think is an ugly-maker. Everybody looks ugly when they're on the Internet. But I wouldn't want to live a flat life, with no pain."

On life:
"You've got to keep going. In every part of your life. Focus on the positive. Stay creative. Go to things that interest you. Do work that's fulfilling. Challenge yourself. What's amazing about the human spirit, there are so many people doing inspiring things. If you focus on that, it makes your life richer."


No comments:

Post a Comment