Helen Mirren received the Legend award at Elle's Women in Hollywood gala at the Four Seasons in Beverly Hills on Monday. As part of her acceptance speech, she listed off her top five tips for women. Here they are, as reprinted by E! News:
1. "Never drink alcohol unless you're celebrating something, upset about something or it's a day that ends in the letter y. And never drink when you're driving."
2. "There are no rules about love, I don't believe—but don't be in a rush to get married. Honestly, I married Taylor much later in life and it's worked out just great. But give your partner the freedom and support to achieve their ambition. it's very important and that goes both ways for men and women."
3. "At the blackjack table, always split aces, eights and nines. Believe me, it really improves the odds."
4. "Connect with friends daily and I don't mean on Facebook. Better to have three great friends than 300 friends on social media—friends that you really talk to.'
5. "And finally, ignore anyone who judges the way you look, especially if he or she is some anonymous miserable creep lurking on the internet or is a bloated small-headed dinosaury hand candidate for president."