Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Jeff Daniels Talks Relapsing

Jeff Daniels, 61, recently opened up about relapsing when he turned 50. Page Six reprints his remarks as follows:

"I had just turned 50, which is a speed bump, and at 80 miles per hour. And I hadn’t drank for 14 years, cold. Just cold turkey. Just quit … I was two months into 50 and I was checking into a hotel room in some city. I’m throwing the suitcase on the bed and I hear a voice behind me. And it’s me, clear as day say, ‘Don’t you think you’ve punished yourself enough?’ And I stopped. I said, ‘Yeah, yeah I have.’ Mini bar, here we go. Three months later I was done.”

On seeking professional help after the relapse:
“One was trying to do it on my own and the second time was, you can’t do this on your own, You need help, you need some people who know a hell of a lot more about this than you do, Mr. Smart Guy. It’s in my family, which I came to learn.”

On sobriety making him a better husband and father:
“I just wasn’t asleep on the floor at 7:30 at night and the kids are running round and she needs help. It didn’t need to be part of my life.”


No comments:

Post a Comment