Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Cate Blanchett Talks Hatred of Selfies

Cate Blanchett recently sat down for an interview with Yahoo Beauty, where she talked about Selfies. The publication quotes her as follows, as reprinted by Us Weekly:

"People constantly are taking pictures of ourselves to send them to people to see if they like me, 'Do they like me?' It's pathetic, the whole thing about people worrying about what other people are going to think. I just can't handle it. Of course you want people to go see the film that you make, of course you want them to enjoy them. But I'm not out there saying, 'Do they like the way I look?'… You have to say, 'This is what I'm doing right now.' It comes back to self-respect. It's this huge thing: 'Like me! Like me!' The like and dislike is just totally primary schoolyard. I cannot for the life of me work out why adults are participating in that shit. There is so much great stuff on social media, I don't want to be on a soap box about it. I think it's a genuine way to build community… But the downside with social media is it divides people really quickly and sets up rivalry and jealousy."

And on doing Red Carpets:
"Look, I understand, people get really excited about it. The dresses are incredible… But when it takes over and then you're asked to stand on this 360-degree camera, stick your toes into some device so they can beam your bunions around the world, it's like, 'No thank you.'"



No comments:

Post a Comment