Friday, August 11, 2017

Robert Pattinson Hides in Trunks

Robert Pattinson is on the September cover of GQ Magazine. Here are some highlights from the accompanying interview:

On the paparazzi:
“People were like, ‘It’s fine, who cares? They’re just photos or whatever.’ They’ll say, ‘Just live your life.’ But that’s not life for me, if someone’s observing it.”

On how he learned to dodge the paparazzi:
[During the height of the Twilight madness, he had each of his friends call Ubers while he traded outfits with them in the restaurant bathroom, so that photographers wouldn’t know which car he got into, and then he sent all the Ubers in different directions, because drop dead. He rode around in the trunks of cars “constantly,” he says, because fuck you. At one point he had five rental cars and kept them, along with a change of clothes, in parking lots around town. If he was being followed, he’d dip into one of the lots, switch his clothing and his car, and leave. One day, coming home from Venice, he realized he was being tailed. He drove around for hours because he didn’t want anyone to know where his new house was. Finally, as the sun came up, he pulled over and got out of the car and approached one of the photographers. “You’ve gotten your pictures,” he said. “Can I please just go home now?” “No,” the guy told him. “My boss says I can’t come back until I know where your new house is. Sorry, man.” Pattinson never tried to negotiate or appeal to their humanity again.]

On publicity:
“It’s technically part of my job, but I’ve never been very good at it. I’ve never been that concerned if someone sees the movie If I could stay silent, I would.”

On Waterworld:
“It’s one of the greatest movies ever made, and everyone said it was bad. And for years everyone was like, ‘This is a terrible movie.’ And now people are watching it and the veil is being taken away.”

On whether or not he wants to be understood:
“I don’t. I want to be misunderstood. People are always changing, and the more you put something down in print, people form opinions and they’re constantly creating who they think you are. If you do something that contradicts that, or if you do something which goes out of that box, then you can look like a liar or something like that.”

Read the full interview at GQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment