Friday, August 11, 2017

Leah Remini is Still Coming for Scientology

Leah Remini recently sat down for an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. Here's what she had to say:

On her Emmy nomination for Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath:
"When I was just acting, of course it was something you always wanted. Like, hey, we're on a show for nine years, you want some recognition from your peers...The [documentary subjects] don't get paid to do the show. The only thing they get is a hate website put out on them by Scientology. They get paid internet ads against them. Their families turn against them. Any award I get is for them."

On the impact of Aftermath's first season:
"We've heard from people who were inside Scientology, who told me, 'I watched your show. I went on the internet. I decided to leave. I am fighting for my children after watching your show.' We get tons of those. And it's those moments that you go, 'OK — we're doing something.' "

On wanting a federal investigation into Scientology:
"I'm talking about the FBI, the police, the Department of Justice, the IRS. If the FBI ever wanted to get anywhere, all they would need to do is do a raid. Everybody who's ever gone to Scientology has folders, and anything you've ever said is contained in those folders."

On Scientology's "abusive practices":
"Scientology policy dictates that children are grown men and women in little bodies. They believe a 7-year-old girl should not shudder at being passionately kissed. That's in Dianetics. If you join the Sea Org [a clergy class with a nautical heritage] as a child, your parents give you over to Scientology. Children are treated as crew. They are assets. And if a child is molested, that child and/or parent cannot go to the police, because it's against policy. They handle it in Scientology. 

They will usually bring the molester in and give them spiritual 'auditing,' or counseling. [The victim] gets punished for 'pulling it in,' which is a Scientology term that means you did something that you're not telling the church about — and that's why you received the abuse. The child is usually made to do some kind of amends, to make up for what happened to them...there are no victims in Scientology. Anything that happens to you in Scientology happens to you because you made it happen."

On Elisabeth Moss:
"Elisabeth Moss believes that she can't talk to me. There's a thing in Scientology called 'acceptable truth.' It means you only say what's acceptable to the public. But she believes that I'm an antisocial personality — because I've spoken out against Scientology. So she isn't allowed to talk to me. And me knowing that, I wouldn't put her in the awkward position...I would [speak to her at the Emmys], of course. I don't hold anything against Elisabeth Moss other than she's continuing to support a group that is abusive and destroying families."

Read the full interview at The Hollywood Reporter.




A post shared by Leah Remini (@leahremini) on

No comments:

Post a Comment