Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Zoe Kravitz Talks Role Models

Zoe Kravitz is on the cover of Allure Magazine. Here are some highlights from her accompanying interview:

On her character in Big Little Lies:
“I think people always assume for whatever reason that I’m much more hippie-dippy than I am. I’m certainly not as patient as Bonnie is, the way she takes the high road with Madeline [her husband’s ex, played powerfully by Reese Witherspoon]. I can be quite confrontational at times. Bonnie has an amazing level of compassion; she’s very aware of others’ struggles.”

On her role models:
“I’d start with my family. Both my grandmothers and my mother. They planted the seeds for me of what it meant to be female. I grew up in California with my mom in Topanga Canyon. My mother had really great girlfriends. Marisa Tomei is my godmother. I’ve always been around strong women, funny women. And my mom’s really funny. Humor is a big thing in my family. We like to laugh.”

On Lisa Bonet's reaction to the Bill Cosby sex-abuse scandal:
“I think she didn’t like hearing that. It bummed her out. Though she didn’t seem incredibly surprised about it. I don’t think she wants to hear about anyone being abused, especially by someone she spent so much time with. It feels shitty. You want to shower." 

On New York City:
“I feel most at home in New York. I’ve been here since I was 15. I think part of [my fondness for the city] is the spontaneity that’s possible here. You can go get a coffee and run into someone you know. There’s life and diversity and art everywhere. In a lot of cities, that’s not possible to experience. It’s kind of European. I like walking; I like the subway. Every time I have to go to 30 Rock [NBC’s New York address] to do a talk show, I tell them I’ll take the subway. It’s so much faster. It makes me happy. But like most New Yorkers, I like the city 50 percent more when it’s warm outside.”

On her style:
“I’ve always liked contrasts, contradiction. I think too much of anything doesn’t work — like if everything you wear is expensive-looking, you look stale. And if everything you wear is ripped and falling apart, you look crazy. I like when you can find a balance. I live in New York City. I walk around. I have to be comfortable. You don’t look cool or sexy if you’re uncomfortable; it’s not attractive.”

Read the full interview at Allure.

A post shared by Zoë Kravitz (@zoeisabellakravitz) on

No comments:

Post a Comment