Friday, May 19, 2017

Kerry Washington Finds Her Strength

Kerry Washington recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit. Here's what she had to say:

On Olivia Pope's mantra:
“We will not fail. We will not go down. We will fight the fight. There’s always a solution. Saying those words, week after week, they’ve sapped into my bloodstream. Now I feel that way. I wake up, I have a house full of kids and pets, a new production company, I’m number one on the call sheet, and I think: ‘I will not go down. There’s always another way.’”

On managing a work-life balance:
“I can be covered in spit-up on a conference call while I’m pumping and that’s OK, because this is my perfect. It may not be somebody else’s, but this is mine.”

On more diversity in television:
“[When Scandal debuted in 2012], I was exhausted from doing interviews about being the first black woman on TV [in a dramatic series lead] in 40 years, and now it’s not even a thing. This is just what TV looks like; it looks like all of us.
That isn’t to say that black women are all of us – I mean, now Priyanka Chopra has a show [Quantico] and there’s [Asian-American comedy] Fresh Off the Boat. It really is
becoming more inclusive.”

Read the full interview at Net-a-Porter.



No comments:

Post a Comment