Friday, May 19, 2017

Kyle MacLachlan Talks New Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks star Kyle MacLachlan sat down for an interview with The Hollywood Reporter ahead of the premiere of Showtime's new Twin Peaks episodes, which begin airing on Sunday. Here are some highlights:

How are you feeling, now that the world is days away from putting eyes on the new Twin Peaks?
"It's funny, isn't it? It feels exactly that way: a long time coming. But it feels like we're all coming into focus now, and everyone is turning our way. It's very exciting. There's been a lot of activity."

How often were you thinking about Agent Cooper in the years since you last played the character?
"You know, off and on through the time that it was not on. It's a character who really stayed with me. He's one of the greatest characters that I have ever played, certainly. I always thought in the back of my mind that we could actually return there at some point in time if the stars aligned. It's not that I was sitting around hoping it would happen, but I felt it would be kind of fun were it to happen. It was always a what if. Were it to happen, it would be really fun to revisit. It wasn't something where I was thinking, "We have to get this done." It was more, "Well, let's see what happens. Let's see if a story develops with David and Mark.""

Was there any hesitation in putting that suit back on, returning to this world? Did any part of you wonder if it was a door you should be opening again?
"No, not at all. When I spoke with David about it, and he told me what was happening, we didn't talk much about the journey itself, just that he and Mark were working on this. I was excited about the prospect, because he said, "I'm going to be directing every episode." And I felt, "Wow." If you're going to return to Twin Peaks, there's no better way to do it than to have the creator also be the director of every frame. That, to me, was very exciting. But no, no trepidation at all. Just excitement, and curiosity, certainly, about what the story was going to be, and the journey that Cooper was going to be taking."

The revival is shrouded in secrecy. We know nothing about the story, except that it takes place 25 years after the original series' cancellation. What's your view on all of the secrecy, the fact that the details of the plot are being held so close to the chest?
"I think it's terrific. I'm excited about the idea. I'm actually thrilled about the idea, that we've been able to keep it under wraps, which was the idea from the very, very beginning. When I had my first reading of the script, I read it at the studio in a room by myself. Of course, I didn't tell them I took photographs of every page… (Laughs) No, I didn't do that. They let me read it all the way through, and then I had to pass the script back. The pages were then distributed out, and I was one of the ones who had most of the script, which I needed. Most people just received what was pertinent to them. Again, it was an effort to keep things contained, and also to help us. That way, if anyone asks us about the story, we could say, "I don't really know!" As opposed to feeling an obligation to say something, or maybe you would feel compelled out of your own sense of whatever to say it's about this or this. There were no opportunities for that. I love that people are going to be embarking on this fresh. For something that's so well known, it's going to be a whole new journey. I think that's wonderful."

Read the full interview at The Hollywood Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment