Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Kirsten Dunst and Sofia Coppola Talk Working Together

Kirsten Dunst, 35, and Sofia Coppola, 46, recently sat down for a joint interview with Variety. Here are some highlights:

Dunst, on working with Coppola on the Virgin Suicides, and getting confidence from her:
“I was a little nervous. It was my first adult role!...She was always a good influence on me as a young woman. She said to me, ‘I love your teeth; don’t ever fix your teeth.’ I remember doing a ‘Spider-Man’ movie later, and one of the producers was like, ‘I need to take you to the dentist!’ They even fixed my teeth on the poster. But I just knew I was never doing that. Sofia is the chicest, coolest girl, and she thinks my teeth are great. She gave me confidence in little things that I wouldn’t necessarily have had.”

Coppola, on her relationship to Dunst, and working with her in Beguiled:
“I feel big-sisterly to her...I like casting her in this because it’s so opposite her personality. This character is so oppressed and she’s not at all.”

Dunst, on refusing to lose weight for the role in Beguiled:
“It’s so much harder when you’re 35 and hate working out. I’m eating fried chicken and McDonald’s before work [in rural Louisiana]. So I’m like, ‘We have no options! I’m sorry I can’t lose weight for this role.’”

Coppola, on why she wanted to make Beguiled:
“The idea of remaking doesn’t make sense to me. This [story] stayed in my mind. And then I thought it would be interesting to tell the same premise from the point of view of the women characters.”

Dunst, on working to get her directorial debut The Bell Jar off the ground:
“We need our financing. I’m telling you, I have so many great actresses attached. People are afraid of the name Sylvia and that this is a depressing movie, which it’s not at all...It’s always harder for women. Everyone has to work 10 times harder.”

Dunst, on all of the Spiderman reboots:
“I don’t care. Everyone likes our ‘Spider-Man.’ C’mon, am I right or what? Listen, I’d rather be in the first ones than the new ones.”

Read the full interview at Variety.





No comments:

Post a Comment