Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Jessica Chastain Talks Bold Choices

Jessica Chastain recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit. Here are some of the highlights:

On the roles she chooses:
“If I can help create empathy and balance in society, I’m going to do whatever I can to tell stories that subconsciously create that. When I get a script that has the opportunity to create discussion and inspire young girls, I don’t want to say no to that. If something comes to me before it has financing and I can help get it made, I feel a responsibility in that. I just want to contribute.”

On starting her production company Freckle Films:
“There are incredible movies with female protagonists, but I’m cautious to say everything’s better now because I see studios patting themselves on the back: ‘Look, I’ve got this film with diversity. I’ve got women in this.’ I think when you congratulate yourselves for diversity, that means nothing’s really changed...I called my company Freckle Films because it was something I used to hate about myself. But I want to make movies about our differences as a society so that's why I called it that. Now, I celebrate it.” 

On being vegan:
“So much comes down to the food you eat and I eat a very clean diet. Being vegan has made a huge difference in my life.”

On her red hair:
“I didn’t like looking different. Being a redhead, you can’t fit into the group. I wanted to be blond so bad. I had really bad self-esteem and I asked my mom if I could dye my hair but she wouldn’t let me.”

On whether or not she would have plastic surgery:
“Who knows? When I’m 50 or 60, I might. Some people think I’ve had a nose job. I’ve never had anything like that done, but I have no judgement of anyone that does.”

On ageist interview questions about turning 40:
“When I read interviews about male actors, they aren’t asked these questions. I feel – and please don’t take offense – but I feel that the media has a responsibility to not continue to ask them.”



No comments:

Post a Comment