Thursday, June 9, 2016

Zoe Saldana Praises Science Fiction's Roles for Women

Zoe Saldana recently sat down for an interview with Cnet, where she talked about her experiences working in Science Fiction movies. Here's what she had to say:


“If I wasn’t doing these sci-fi movies, I would be at the mercy of filmmakers that would just look my way if they need a girlfriend or sexy woman of color in their movie. Space is different…but we can still do better. We can still give women more weight to carry in their roles.”

Why do you think sci-fi as a genre offers women more-interesting characters?
"It allows you to experiment with other roles besides someone’s girlfriend, someone’s mother, someone’s wife, someone’s victim. No matter how big or small your part may be, you feel much more relevant in space. You’re helping the whole crew save the day. You’re translating alien languages as opposed to being the one that encourages [someone else] to win the day."

You said you really enjoyed working with directors James Cameron and J.J. Abrams because of the way they portray women.
"James Cameron is one of those rare men in the film industry that really isn’t threatened by women. He lets you know with the characters he creates that he does spend time thinking about why women are who they are, why they think the way they do. He is aware of the sacrifices and how hard-working women can be — Sarah Connor [in “The Terminator”], Rose [in “Titanic”].

Jamie Lee Curtis’ role in “True Lies” was a-mazing. She wasn’t a victim. It wasn’t like she found out [mock crying], “My God, you’re, like, a spy. I don’t know what to do.”

She was like, “Oh fuck, my husband’s a spy. I’m gonna fucking spy myself. I’m gonna get to where his mission is. I’m gonna fuck his mission up and I’m gonna tell him, ‘You are in big trouble cuz you lied.’”

I love that. She gets to discover that she is a badass machine and she can save her family just like her man saves every mission he does. I get goose bumps. I really do.

J.J. Abrams — look at the role he created in the new “Star Wars.” It’s through the eyes of a female and we’re not gonna compromise the strength of the movie. We’re not gonna compromise her bravery. It’s like, you guys still have your testosterone-driven PEW! PEW! PEW! [pretends to fire a blaster] and it’s gonna be a girl that’s doing it.

Filmmakers like J.J. Abrams and James Cameron — they’re practicing what they preach, and they’re having their art imitate the life that they see and the utopia they would like to bring to life. And they let you be as collaborative, as suggestive, as opinionated, as passionate…I don’t work to make friends; I don’t work to be liked. I work to bring a character to life, to walk away not feeling that I’m a disappointment in myself. That I gave it my all.

When I’m met on the other side by a filmmaker that sees that, recognizes that and has a duel with me, I feel really seen. I feel like I matter. And for an artist and also for a woman, that sometimes can be everything, because we don’t feel like we matter in a lot of things."

Read the full interview at Cnet.


No comments:

Post a Comment