Thursday, April 21, 2016

Patricia Arquette Talks Oscar Speech Fallout

The New York Times recently caught up with Patricia Arquette at the Tribeca Film Festival, where she talked to them about the fallout after her Oscar acceptance speech calling for equal pay for women. The publication quotes her as follows:

“I always knew I was paid less than men. They would be very clear about that, sometimes, when they would make offers to you: ‘Well, they’re paying the guy, so they don’t have any money’ – they would say things like that. I had just seen a lot of people struggle to make a living, and I just didn’t think it was fair."

On losing work due to speaking out:
"I’m O.K. with that. Sometimes when you’re in a position to make a difference – to be a part of that story is a great thing...I thought, I could sell my house, I can downsize, I can live a different kind of way. That’s O.K. It’s O.K. if I don’t work anymore. I would be sad because I want to make art, but if that’s what it takes, I guess that’s what it takes.”

On turning down a recent indie film:
"[When you do an independent film], you’re basically donating your whole normal salary, and your name value, and your everything, if it does succeed you should participate in the success of that. The back-end participation was not the same as the man’s, so I did walk away from that job.”

On the passage of the California Fair Pay Act:
“When we bring all of our energy together and we’re all bringing what we can to the table, we can have rapid evolution, and that’s what we need to do. They talk about the gender pay gap not closing for another 40 years. I mean, who’s got 40 years? I don’t have patience.”


No comments:

Post a Comment