Thursday, April 21, 2016

Katherine Heigl Wants A New Job

Katherine Heigl recently appeared on Howard Stern to eat some crow in the hopes of getting another acting job someday that doesn't involve shilling for cat litter. Here's what she had to say, as reprinted by E! News:

On her previous criticism of Knocked Up:
"I liked the movie a lot. I just didn't like me. The character. She was kind of like, she was so judgmental and kind of uptight and controlling and all these things and I really went with it while we were doing it, and a lot of it, Judd allows everyone to be very free and improvise and whatever and afterwards, I was like, 'Why is that where I went with this? What an asshole she is!' It was, again, one of those situations, it was a huge opportunity for me. I was being interviewed for Vanity Fair. Like, I was on the cover of Vanity Fair, it was a huge big deal for me. And the journalist...just said, 'You know a lot of women felt it was a little sexist' so then I felt obligated to answer that and so I tried in my very sort of ungracious way to answer why I felt that it maybe was a little."

On Seth Rogen and Judd Apatow, who felt blindsided by her comments:
"I probably should've [called them]. But what I did was very, I did it publicly instead and kind of tried to say, look, this was not what I meant and this was an incredible experience for me and they were incredibly good to me on this movie, so I did not mean to shit on them at all. I've thought about like, writing a note. I feel embarrassed. I don't want it to feel insincere on any level...I ran into [Rogen] at a restaurant and I didn't quite realize that it was as serious as it was...I walked up like, 'Hey, guys!' And they were like very like...and I was like, 'Oh, you're really mad, I didn't realize that it was that bad...I get it."

On removing her Grey's Anatomy performance from Emmy contention:
"I didn't feel good about my performance. There was a part of me that thought, because I had won the year before, that I needed juicy, dramatic, emotional material and I just didn't have that that season. I went in [to meet with Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rimes] 'cause I was really embarrassed. So I went in to Shonda and said, 'I'm so sorry. That wasn't cool. I should not have said that'...I shouldn't have said anything publicly but at the time, I didn't think anybody would notice. I didn't know that journalists would see who submitted and who didn't. I just quietly didn't submit and then it became a story and then I felt I was obligated to make my statement and 'shut up, Katie.'"

On the fallout of being labelled "difficult to work with":
"I had never done therapy before, until a couple of years ago. I started going because of the scrutiny. I was not handling it well. I was feeling completely like the biggest piece of shit on the bottom of your shoe. I was really struggling with it and how to not take it all personally and not to feel there was something deeply wrong with me. It was really, at first, very hard...I remember [working on an Independent Film and] wearing shoes a size too small because I was afraid to tell wardrobe they weren't big enough because I didn't want to be difficult. After that I was like, 'This is nonsense, stop it...I don't want to compromise who I am and what I have to say so much that I go to bed going, 'I've just become a robot; now I just do what they tell me to and say what they want me to say.' That isn't me."


No comments:

Post a Comment