Thursday, September 17, 2015

The World's Most Romantic Post


Yep, it's that time again. Nikki Reed's next Elle column is up. A portion of it appears below: 

"I spent the last two weeks reading many of your responses to my last column and have been answering as frequently as my schedule would allow given that I am currently in production. It is important to me for you to know that I am not someone who can skim through your eloquently written and vulnerably presented thoughts on the topic. I actually read them, and have one thing to say: thank you. I found myself so enveloped by all of you; your ideas, your feelings, your stories, your wisdom, and your perspective. To be perfectly honest with you, I am at a loss for words.


While I set out to challenge each of you to email me about what makes you feel good, I had no idea how inspired I would find myself. I quickly realized this was not a one-sided challenge: Your responses have sparked a fire in me. I found myself Googling the meaning of the word "inspiration," because I was sure I would find something that could better express how I felt about all of you. What goes without saying is the amount of love and light that each and every one of you possess. Some of you suggested changing the way we view the world, each other, our animals, and our youth. Others talked about the joy they feel from teaching people, loving one another, helping strangers, connecting with kids being picked on at school, creating art, volunteering, or dancing in their living room for no reason. I read about girls being bullied and girls who were once bullies. I heard from teachers, mothers, and siblings about their perspective as an outsider looking in, wanting to help. 

...So start with that. Find your own power in knowing that just because some girl at school scared you or made you cry, it does not mean she can control you or your feelings. Pretty powerful, right? One girl even wrote, "They are bullies because they are alone," which is another interesting observation—one with a seemingly simple solution."

Visit Elle to read the full column in all its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment