Friday, September 18, 2015

Lupita Nyong'o Shares How Growing Up In Kenya Shaped Her Style

Lupita Nyong'o recently sat down for an interview with Vogue, where she talked about the impact that growing up in Kenya has on her personal style. The magazine quotes her as follows:

“Presentation is extremely important in Kenya. You dress formally. You can’t just wear flip-flops. My mother always had her own style. She wore A-line, tea-length flowery dresses, very well fitting. Her nails were always perfectly done. Salons were a big feature in my life. We would go every two weeks to get our hair braided, washed or treated. That’s where I read American, British and a few African magazines. Then I would design my own clothes. In Kenya, it’s much cheaper to get clothes made than to buy them. We would have everything run up by a tailor, or my aunt Kitty, who is very creative, would sew things for me.”

Read the full interview at Vogue.


No comments:

Post a Comment