Monday, September 14, 2015

Jewel Talks Sexual Harassment

Singer Jewel recently sat down for an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, where she talked about sexual harassment. The publication quotes her as follows:

"I’ve had men hitting on me, sadly, since I was really young. At 8, I had men putting dimes in my hands saying, ‘Call me. It’d be so great to fuck when you’re older.’ And just horrible stuff. [When I lived out of my car in San Diego], I’ve never been more propositioned by businessmen in my life. It was almost like they were sharks that could smell blood, like of vulnerability. I’d go back to my car, writing songs, and men would literally come up and proposition me. They would be like, ‘Hey, do you need rent money?’ you know and things like that. It was pretty wild. I never took anybody up on it, but it was interesting to see this side of men that basically would prey on somebody vulnerable. The music industry is a very male-dominated business. I never slept my way to the top, ever. There was never one time I’ve ever compromised anything. I was always willing to walk away … And I think that type of spirit that you bring just informs everybody that’s around you. You know, I’ve heard plenty of stories that the opposite happens.”

No comments:

Post a Comment