Monday, September 14, 2015

Ben Foster Talks Playing Lance Armstrong

Actor Ben Foster plays Lance Armstrong in the upcoming movie The Program. Foster recently sat down with The Guardian where he talked about preparing for the role by taking performance-enhancing drugs. The publication quotes him as follows:

"I tried to infect myself with him. I don't want to talk about the names of the drugs I took. Even discussing it feels tricky because it isn't something I'd recommend to fellow actors. These are very serious chemicals and they affect your body in real ways. For my own investigation it was important for me privately to understand it. And they work. There's a fallout. Doping affects your mind. It doesn't make you feel high. There are behaviors when you've got those chemicals running through your body that serve you on the bike but which, when you're not … I've only just recovered physically. I'm only now getting my levels back. I don't know how to separate the chemical influence from the psychological attachment I had to the character. If it's working, it keeps you up at night. This is losing your marbles, right? They're definitely rolling around."

On his opinion on Lance Armstrong now that he's portrayed him:
"On one hand, he's a lying doper who tricked the world. On the other, he's a young man who faced cancer. It changes you. He's a smart man. He says, 'I can do some good with this.' He raised half a billion for cancer research. We just don't like him because he was Jesus Christ on a bicycle. We're mad he came back from the dead, saved the sick and then turned out to be full of shit. And we're punishing him because he didn't apologize in the way we'd like. Americans love a good apology. He wouldn't do that." 

No comments:

Post a Comment