Friday, September 18, 2015

Nicholas Brendon Talks Dr. Phil

Nicholas Brendon's Dr. Phil episode aired on Wednesday (I know, you would think that they would do more to promote it so that we would know when to tape it!). The show was predictably a shit show. Brendon released the following statement on his Facebook page, as reprinted by Us Weekly:

“So…that aired. It was extremely sad that the producers decided to sensationalize and exaggerate the already-disappointing events of the past year…A few things I need to clarify, for the sake of my family and loved ones. Dr. Phil had some hard words for my mother, who I love dearly and who I have caused more heartache than I care to remember. When I was molested as a child, it was 1982. Therapy wasn’t talked about and accepted the way it is today. Going to therapy in 1982 would be similar to getting a divorce in 1950. It wasn’t done, and if it was, it wasn’t supported by those around you. There certainly were not the kind of resources that fortunately exist for abused children today. My mother, a victim of child abuse herself, was convinced by others that the best thing for me was to just put it behind us and move forward. My mother regrets this deeply, and it hurt me that Dr. Phil took her to task for not forcing me into treatment at the time.

The night before the show taped, I got drunk. Drunk to the point I still smelled of it the following morning. I was very stressed about doing the show. I always have and always will take full responsibility for my actions. I will also defend my loved ones. I am grateful for the support of my family, girlfriend and my wonderful fans. By no means am I a perfect person, but I am also not the monster as portrayed by this show. I am actively participating in treatment and remaining positive in the light of negativity. It will remain my goal to one day obtain the clarity and clearness of spirit that Dr. Phil demonstrates daily. I commend those living with depression, alcoholism, the kicker that is dual diagnosis and are brave enough to speak out and ask for help. You guys are my heroes.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment