Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Nicole Kidman is Glamour's Woman of the Year

Nicole Kidman is the 2017 Glamour Woman of the Year. Here are some highlights from her accompanying interview:

Rebecca Miller: Oh, Nicole. So tell me: In the very beginning, was there a moment you realized you were able to communicate so fluently with your emotions?


Nicole Kidman: No. That’s a lifelong journey. [Laughs.] My mother said I was always an intense child, a very sensitive child. So that probably helped the emotions to be very present. I was just a big thinker. I would evaluate and analyze and feel and cry and discuss and be angry. All of those emotions were very surface for me.

Rebecca: What, then, first drew you to acting?


Nicole: I would read. And I would morph into the characters and their emotions. And then I started going to a local drama school when I was, like, 10 or 11. And even at that age, things would just flow. When my toe would enter the water with something like Nora in A Doll’s House, somehow—without really understanding what I was doing—I would grasp the character’s inner conflict. It was very pure. I still have that deep passion and love for what I do. And when I don’t, I won’t do it anymore.

Rebecca: I’ve been thinking about how different all your roles are. Like, Virginia Woolf in The Hours and Celeste Wright from Big Little Lies are two completely different souls.

Nicole: Well, one’s fighting to just exist in the world, for her artistic expression to stay the way she wants it without medication or confinement. And then Celeste is in this situation of being deeply attracted [to her abusive husband] but also knowing she has to get out. In some ways, they were both fighting being trapped.

Rebecca: Can you tell me how your pledge to work with a female director every 18 months came about?


Nicole: As an actor you’re only as good as the things you’re offered. And there just weren’t any women offering me things. So when you dissect that, you realize there aren’t women offering you things because they don’t have the opportunities. I work to raise money for women’s cancers; I use my voice for violence against women. And so I was like, “I need to be part of the movement that will, hopefully, change the statistics in my field.”

Read her full interview at Glamour.

No comments:

Post a Comment