Monday, October 2, 2017

New Yorker Profile on Busy Phillips

Busy Phillips was recently profiled in the New Yorker for her popular Instagram Stories. Here are some highlights from that profile:

“I get jealous of boys, always. I just feel like the boys get away with more shit; boys are given the chance. They are allowed to let their freak flag fly and they’re rewarded for it.”

On filling in occasionally on Live with Kelly and Ryan:
“I really do enjoy that. And I think Ryan is the most hardworking person ever. The last time I co-hosted, he just told anecdotally some jokey story about how he legitimately had four jobs.”

On the key to a good Instagram Story:
“I test out the angles, just to make sure I don’t look like I have a double chin. That’s important to me.”

On why people relate to her:
“I always have had that thing where people do feel like I am one of them. I’ve always felt like an outsider in this thing that I’ve chosen to do. That’s why people liked me at award shows, because they felt like they were there, because that’s what they would be like if they were there."

Michelle Williams on why people love Busy Phillips:
“People say, ‘I’m in love with your best friend.’ I’m, like, I know. Everyone thinks she’s their best friend. She listens, she’s deep and really honest, she has a wicked sense of humor, and a lack of shame about being herself...For me, [Instagram is] access to another world. But Busy’s brain needs it—it works at the speed of the Internet. She can have an emotional conversation about a lost love and film an Instagram Story about something on the side. It’s happened.”

How Busy's husband Marc Silverstein feels about the Instagram Stories:
“We had a discussion once they started, because I didn’t want to be in them for a long time. And then we went out one night with two of our friends for dinner, and we got home and she was getting ready for bed, and I just watched the Stories. And I wasn’t in any of them. It made me feel like I didn’t exist.”

Read the full profile at The New Yorker.



No comments:

Post a Comment