Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Just Call Gordon Ramsey Daddy Dearest

Gordon Ramsey recently spoke to The Telegraph about his estate plans (his net worth is reported to be around $140 million. Here's what he had to say:

“I’ve never been really turned on about the money. That’s not my number one objective, and that’s reflected in the way the kids are brought up. Last time we went to Royal Hospital Road [Ramsay’s three Michelin starred flagship restaurant in Chelsea] was for Megan’s 16th birthday, and that was the first time we’ve ever eaten there with the kids. They have served the Chelsea pensioners there for Christmas lunch, but not eaten there.

They don’t sit with us in first class. They haven’t worked anywhere near hard enough to afford that. At that age, at that size, you’re telling me they need to sit in first class? No, they do not. We’re really strict on that. I turn left with Tana and they turn right and I say to the chief stewardess, ‘Make sure those little fuckers don’t come anywhere near us, I want to sleep on this plane’. I worked my fucking arse off to sit that close to the pilot and you appreciate it more when you’ve grafted for it.

...Meg’s at uni and has a budget of £100 a week; the others get about £50 a week and they have to pay for their own phones, their bus fare. The earlier you give them that responsibility to save for their own trainers and jeans, the better.

They all cook as a life skill as opposed to a career. I never want to put that onus on them. I don’t want them with a badge, going into a kitchen [with people] thinking that’s Ramsay’s daughter or that’s Ramsay’s son.”

On his estate plans:
“[My money] is definitely not going to them, and that’s not in a mean way; it’s to not spoil them. The only thing I’ve agreed with Tana is they get a 25 per cent deposit on a flat, but not the whole flat. I’ve been super lucky, having that career for the last 15 years in the US. Seriously, it has earned a fortune and I’ve been very lucky, so I respect everything I’ve got.”

No comments:

Post a Comment