Tuesday, November 29, 2016

More Bon Mots From Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher (accompanied by Gary Fisher) is still making the rounds to promote her newest book, The Princess Diarist, in stores now. Here's what she had to say to Rolling Stone:

What's the best and worst parts of success?
"The best part is money, traveling and the people you meet. The worst part is, again, money, travel and the people you meet. That's something Dorothy Parker would say. But I'll answer it straight: The worst part is being criticized. Things are taken out of context. Now, with the Internet, you're your own worst enemy. I'm not someone that can sort of just not look."

What are the important rules you live by?
"Be kind. Don't hurt other people. It's all the sort of Christian ethics stuff I thought was bullshit when I was a kid. No, it turns out it's not bullshit. Tell the truth, be kind, all that corny stuff."

What's the best advice you ever got?
"You don't have to always be comfortable. You don't have to like everything you do. That was shocking to me. I thought I had to like everything I did. When I heard that, it was such a relief."

Where did you learn that?
"A.A. They would say things like, "You don't have to like it. You just have to go." I thought that was amazing. "Really? I can not like this? Well, great. I don't like it." That took my back to … I hate the word "Christian," but again, that sort of ethic."

How do you relax?
"Badly. I watch old movies, but I don't actually breathe a sigh of relief and relax a lot. I'm too high-strung and agitated. I really have to concentrate to relax. I literally have to do things like watch my breathing and tell myself what I'm looking at."

What music still moves you the most?
"It's all stuff from my youth, like Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and Paul Simon."

You were married to Paul Simon. Are you able to enjoy his music and dissociate it from your personal relationship with him?
"Absolutely, though I do like the songs he wrote about our relationship. Even when he's insulting me, I like it very much. If you're gonna be insulted, that's the way to go. "Graceland" has part of us in it."

Are there any upsides to doing drugs?
"Yes. Absolutely. I don't think I was ever suicidal, and that's probably because of drugs. I did have … do have this mood disorder, so it probably saves me from the most intense feelings from that. I was able to mute that stuff. And I loved LSD. That was fantastic."

Are you ever tempted to take LSD these days?
"Absolutely. I would like to do that stuff again, but it might be a little intense at my age. It was intense not at my age."

Read the full interview at Rolling Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment