Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Evan Rachel Woods Talks Personal Demons

Westworld star Evan Rachel Woods recently sat down for an interview with Rolling Stone, where she addressed her personal demons. Here are some of the highlights:

On questioning reality:
"What if this is all bullshit? What if this is just conditioning? What if all this is learned and not true? Who am I really, without my programming?"

On the success of Westworld:
"The showrunners and HBO warned me, 'You know, your life's probably going to change after this.' I couldn't handle all the attention when I was younger, but I feel like I'm in a place where I'm not going to collapse under the pressure."

On her experience as a child actor:
"I was shy and insecure. Any child actor will tell you that you don't have a lot of the tools or the experience to combat a lot of the criticism or very adult situations being thrown at you."

On dating Marilyn Manson:
"I met somebody that promised freedom and expression and no judgments. And I was craving danger and excitement. I looked at my mother one day and said, 'Mom, I'm gonna get on this tour bus for eight months and see the world and have a crazy journey and find myself, and if people aren't OK with that, I'm sorry, but I can't live my life for other people.' Most teenagers are searching for identity, and I was thrown into a situation where I was supposed to have that already figured out. Then you're demonized for figuring it out and getting messy. People would call me a whore when I walked down the street, and you can't not be hurt by that."

On a suicide attempt at 22:
 "[It] was, weirdly, the best-worst thing that ever happened to me. 'Cause it did not work."

On being a survivor of sexual assault:
"I've been raped. By a significant other while we were together. And on a separate occasion, by the owner of a bar . . .   I don't believe we live in a time where people can stay silent any longer. Not given the state our world is in with its blatant bigotry and sexism."

On bisexuality:
"It was always talked about like a phase or something stupid, or something you were doing for attention. You know, bisexuality is worthy of eye rolls. And I didn't realize how damaging that was until I tried to have healthy relationships as an adult and realized that there was still all this shame and conditioning and stigma around my sexuality that was really affecting the way I related to people. I think I was taken advantage of because someone knew there was something about me that they could exploit."

Read the full interview at Rolling Stone.



No comments:

Post a Comment