Monday, May 16, 2016

Travel Tips from Anthony Bourdain

Anthony Bourdain recently sat down for an interview with Bon Appetit. Here's what he had to say:


Okay, let’s talk rules for the road. Is it okay to bring food on a plane?
"If you want to be the most despised person in the cabin, bring some good barbecue on and have everybody in the plane smell it. I brought some Joe’s BBQ on the plane from Kansas City once, and the look of pure loathing on everyone’s faces as I gnawed on my ribs—I wouldn’t care to repeat it."

Do you eat the plane food?
"Never. No one has ever felt better after eating plane food. I think people only eat it because they’re bored. I don’t eat on planes. I like to arrive hungry."

What if you’re on a super-long flight? You just don’t eat?
"For a super-long flight, I’d order cheese and shit load of port. I’d eat some cheese and drink myself stupid."

What’s your coffee strategy on the road?
"There are few things I care about less than coffee. I have two big cups every morning: light and sweet, preferably in cardboard cup. Any bodega will do. I don’t want to wait for my coffee. I don’t want some man-bun, Mumford and Son motherfucker to get it for me. I like good coffee but I don’t want to wait for it, and I don’t want it with the cast of Friends. It’s a beverage; it’s not a lifestyle."

Is ordering room service ever okay?
"No. For breakfast, maybe. I don’t really eat breakfast, but having coffee and some croissants in the room is always nice. But if you really want to send yourself into a tragic spiral of depression, call down for a room service hamburger when you’re alone in your room. You will inevitably be disappointed and more than likely sent into a manic-depressive state for days."

Read the full interview at Bon Appetit.


No comments:

Post a Comment