Thursday, May 26, 2016

Gabrielle Reece Talks Body Image

Gabrielle Reece, who is currently hosting the reality competition show Strong, recently opened up to People about body image. Here's what she had to say:

"I grew up very, very tall. By the time I was 12 I was six feet. It was awkward, it was different. The worst thing you can be when you're going through puberty and those formative years is to be different...It was important for me to understand how I felt. Even if people were like, 'That's kind of strange how big you are,' I thought, I'm going to make peace with that." 

On modeling:
"When I started working and got into fashion, people would go, 'Oh, you're great.' I didn't buy into that either. You have to understand how you feel for yourself, which means you can't get too high, but you don't want to get too low, because too high is not realistic either, it's unhealthy. So it was about having a healthy relationship about my body, myself. I have been in better shape and my clothes have fit better when I've been heavier than when I'm leaner and stronger. I have a different type of relationship with weight. I went into college at 145, came out at 162. I started lifting and then realized that I'm probably at my ultimate weight, to perform or play, at 168. My mental scale is different from other women. I think for me it's about delivering in performance, not showing up and having to look a certain way. I think for me it's been the most important thing to be authentic." 

On her outlook:
"It sounds silly because I'm known for being such a physical person, a physical being – but one thing I've learned is that our body is just a vehicle for us to take this journey, and ultimately who I am is not really my body. So what I'm most happy about my body is what it has taken me to – that I can play professional sport or go on these adventures, have babies. I'm 46 and it seems to be sustaining."


No comments:

Post a Comment