Monday, March 14, 2016

Lupita Nyong'o Talks Life After Oscar

Lupita Nyong'o recently sat down for an interview with InStyle magazine, where she talked about her career choices after winning her first Oscar. The magazine quotes her as follows:


 "Right after the Oscars, I had no idea what I was going to do next. Zero clue. There's part of me that thought my life would go back to normal. Like at school. But it didn't. I did not get out of that unscathed, you know?"

On diversity in Hollywood:
"There is a real imbalance, from the very creation of the stories and who's telling them, how and why. Change has to happen with the writers, the studio, the marketers, the directors. That's got to be diversified because there is a hunger for the expansion of the role of people of color in the center of narratives."

On deciding to shave her head:
"I wasn't sure if I could pull off [the bald look]. Because hair is the frame of the face, right? And we spend so much time on it, trying to get it perfect. It often defines one's beauty and feminine value. Almost on a whim, I was like, 'What if I didn't have it?' And so I shaved it all off—I was a complete baldy! It was shocking at first, especially for my mom. But I learned to embrace my features. And I like myself a lot more now that I'm not constantly fussing over my hair."

Read her full interview at InStyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment