Monday, December 21, 2015

Tina Fey Talks Beauty


Tina Fey recently sat down for an interview with Net-a-Porter's The Edit, where she talked about beauty. The publication quotes her as follows:

DISCOVER YOUR COPING MECHANISM
“For me it was about hitting age 13 and realizing, ‘OK, I’m not going to glide by on looks. I’m a normal-looking person, but that’s not going to be where my bread is buttered.’ The desire to be funny – because you are never actually quite sure if you really are funny – is a coping mechanism, another way of ingratiating yourself. But when you’re 13 and trying to be funny around boys, you end up mocking them and it backfires. You terrify them.”

DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE 
COOL GIRL 
“I met Amy Poehler in Chicago in 1993, when we were both studying improvisation. She was the cool girl. I remember counseling so many guys who were just immediately in love with her. It was a phase that every Chicago improviser had to go through – ‘I’m secretly in love with Amy.’ ‘Of course you are, I know.’ Amy is very warm, a great person to have on your team in any capacity. We work together best – on [their new movie] Sisters, or presenting the Golden Globes – by doing our own thing next to each other. I do wonder, if we tried to do five years on a series together, if it would be like, ‘Wait a minute, which one of us is the boss?’ Because, truthfully, I think we are two Alphas.”

THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE SHARPER THAN YOU. POSSIBLY YOUR OWN CHILD
“My daughters [Alice, 10, and Penelope, four] will tell you that I’m exceedingly dull – the fourth funniest person in the family. My four-year-old is rivaling my husband [composer and producer Jeff Richmond] for first place at this point. The ability to be very cutting that I have – to size someone up and think, ‘This would hurt you, if I said this’ – she has it already at four. And it’s shocking to me. I secretly regard it as a sign of great intelligence, but it’s something that must be managed.”

Read the full interview at Netaporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment