Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Former Ally McBeal Actress Lisa Nicole Carson Opens Up About Bipolar Disorder

Actress Lisa Nicole Carson recently sat down for an interview with People, where she opened up about her battle with Bipolar Disorder. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"From the time I stepped away from show business [in 2001] until now, I've been on a long very complicated and challenging journey. I didn't know if I was going to make it out. I don't really have an option to be silent about my illness, although I wanted to be for many years. But since I had a public breakdown, it's something I felt I had to address. When you lose your mind it's as traumatic as it sounds. It's not anything you can imagine happening to you." 

On her breakdown in 2000:
"I remember glass breaking, yelling, screaming and terror. Sheer terror...The cast [of Ally McBeal] was very concerned. They put together a video for me, wishing me well. I busted my butt and worked hard for a year. And then in 2001, I got the call, 'We're not renewing your contract.' I cried for a week. Something very weird happened to me and everybody had a reaction, and it was more weird to me than anyone." 

Of her last breakdown in 2004:
"It was the closest everything came to collapsing for me. That's what marked the beginning of the end of the disease for me. I decided that whatever was going on in my life, had to take second place. I had to take my medication and fight this with everything I am. I've been stable and haven't had a breakdown in 10 years."

On her decision to finally speak out:
"It's a risk for me to be open. I never wanted to breathe a world about what happened to me. But I've had a change of heart. It's rare for someone who has something as severe as I I've had to come out the other side, but I'd like to let people know that you can. You can get to the other side." 

No comments:

Post a Comment