Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Lost Hollywood Producer Found, Announces He's An Addict

Last month, visual effects producer Eric Kohler went missing in Los Angeles. There were reports that he had turned up in Mexico just over a week later. Kohler is finally speaking out about his disappearance; here is the post that he recently shared on his Facebook page

"Three weeks ago I disappeared. As a result of my unconscious selfishness in a downward spiral it caused what I can only identify as a frenzy. There were so many questions, so much confusion and an unfortunate amount of heartache. However, within all of the chaos and insanity, there was also a miracle. I witnessed support from family, friends, loved ones, coworkers and people I've never even met before. Individuals from every corner of the country and even across borders united as one to create a support group during a period of my life that I wasn't even aware I needed.

My name is Eric Kohler and I am an addict. The actions that led up to the events unfolding over these past few weeks are not my proudest moments. Addiction is a serious issue that I clearly recognize now. Through a state of exhaustion fueled by the stress and high expectations that were put on me, and the life I chose, my addiction escalated and I mentally snapped. This emotional and physical breakdown caused me to desert the people I care for and most importantly care for me.

I honestly wish I had a more outlandish and exciting story to spin that would explain my disappearance and failures, but I do not. At this point the details do not matter, the repercussions are mine to live with. I've let down so many people around me, which is not something I'm used to. Though my actions will be ridiculed by the negativity of some, I look forward to the positivity I will bring to those who did care by making my amends and returning the unconditional love you've all shown me.

I am currently seeking treatment at a facility for my addiction. I felt that it was finally an appropriate time to reach out and provide an explanation, given I can now see more clearly. And well, if for no other reason than to promote an advocacy for the struggle and hardships that addiction can cause not only on yourself, but ALL of those around you whether they are strangers or not.

I believe most people would find it easiest to ignore or dodge the questions and speculations, but I’ve decided that instead of bottling up my past destruction, I want to use my story as an example of a positive outcome. Those of you struggling and thinking no one cares, reach out to those around you. You will be pleasantly surprised to realize how much we, as humans, are capable of. I unfortunately had to figure this out in the hardest and most selfish way.

Words will never be able to fully articulate the gratitude and appreciation I have for everyone who got involved. It's such a blessing to see how many people actually do care. I can admit that because of this realization and the support of others, I finally feel confident that I will be okay and able to recover to my normal self or whoever that may now become.

I love all of you; family, friends, coworkers, whether we are acquaintances or not. It is because of your unity that I am safe, I am alive, and I have the rest of my life ahead of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment