Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, David O. Russell, and Robert De Niro Talk Making Moves Together

The New York Times recently gathered Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, David O. Russell, and Robert De Niro to talk to them about making movies together. Here are some of the highlights:


Q. You guys are together again, almost like a repertory theater. Does that feel like a family thing?
Russell Every time is different, but I do feel very close to everyone at this table, and I aspire to write for everyone [here] and to deliver roles that are worthy of them. This is the first story ever for me about a woman at the center. Naturally Jennifer is the person I thought of to play this age range, from 18 to 43. Naturally I thought of Robert to be her father, Robert being very familiar with these kind of salt of the earth characters. Bradley because he’s become a filmmaker in some ways, he produced “Sniper,” so it was kind of perfect for him to play. Does that seem right?
Lawrence No, I think you should take back the whole thing.

For you, was it always obvious that you would do this?
De Niro I just felt that it was something to do, to be part of the whole group. It reminded me of Cassavetes or other directors who have their troupe, if you will. Ingmar Bergman. And it was a lot of fun. With David, it’s like Bradley says — a full contact sport. It’s like he’s writing as he’s filming. It’s really energetic and kind of frenetic and spontaneous.

There’s also improv, with the script coming alive in different ways as you are on set.
Russell You must write the script many times before you make the film, but that doesn’t mean it stops getting written once you make the film.
Lawrence David is a never-ending fountain of creativity. He can’t actually be asked to write one thing that’s 130 pages and then stop. It’s just the beginning, and that’s why we all get so excited to work with him.

As you get to know one another more working together, does that change the performances?
Russell It feels like we have grown up like a band, and these guys play wildly different people. If you watch any group over time, it evolves. What has evolved is suddenly all of us were around Jennifer (as a central character), which we had not done.
Lawrence Bob was always so good to me when we first met. I was young, and he was always so nice and took both of us under his wing, and it was like a Hollywood paternal type of relationship. I had all sorts of questions, and he was obviously the best one to answer. So it was like a nice evolution that he would then play my father. And Coop and I have … there’s like a reaction. I had to do one scene where I was on the phone with his character. If it was any other actor in the whole world, I would have just had the script supervisor read [the dialogue]. But I knew I would act differently if it was with Bradley. So I forced him to wake up and read the scene with me on the phone.
Cooper Bob and I worked together on a movie prior to “Silver Linings” [“Limitless,” in 2011], but then, when we had that experience of “Silver Linings,” that changed everything. You just start to be integrated into each other’s lives. We spent a lot of time together outside, so of course that informs everything. The truth is, I don’t make a movie without calling him.
Lawrence Really?

Cooper Yeah. Why wouldn’t I, to get his advice? And she and I haven’t seen each other in a while, and showing up on set, no matter what, it’s just easy to work together. Even though we don’t talk, really, it’s like, “bam.” You can’t even help yourself; [David] created this family. [Turns to him.] Your rhythms are different as a director, and that’s fun to experience.

Read the full interview at the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment