Thursday, October 19, 2017

Kevin Smith Donating Profits

In the wake of the Harvey Weinsten news, filmmaker Kevin Smith announced on his podcast Hollywood Babble-On that he is donating all future residuals from films that he worked on with Harvey Weinstein to the non-profit organization Women in Film. Here’s what he had to say, as reprinted by the Huffington Post:

“My entire career is tied up with the man. It’s been a weird fucking week. I just wanted to make some fucking movies, that’s it. That’s why I came, that’s why I made ‘Clerks.’ And no fucking movie is worth all this. Like, my entire career, fuck it, take it. It’s wrapped up in something really fucking horrible.

I’m not looking for sympathy. I know it’s not my fault, but I didn’t fucking help. Because I sat out there talking about this man like he was a hero, like he was my friend, like he was my father and shit like that, and he changed my fucking life. I was singing praises of somebody that I didn’t fucking know. I didn’t know the man that they keep talking about in the press. Clearly he exists, but that man never showed himself to me. It all hurts, and it didn’t happen to me, but it all hurts.”

The Huffington Post notes "Smith also mentioned that it’s possible that The Weinstein Company could fold, causing the movies to lose their value. Due to this possibility, the filmmaker also pledged to donate $2,000 to Women in Film every month for the rest of his life."

No comments:

Post a Comment