Tuesday, October 17, 2017

James Marsters Talks Spike

James Marsters recently spoke to Page Six about his role as Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Here's what he had to say:

“To Joss Whedon, evil is not cool and I really respect that — Spike was put up as cool and evil only because he was a disposable character. He was supposed to die. It was not supposed to be romantic, but the audience was responding that way and Joss was freaking out. He backed me up against a wall one day and said, ‘I don’t care how popular you are, you are dead.' Spike was the wrong boyfriend. Spike was not ready for Buffy during the run of the show. He was way below her and because the reaction was so strong … they had to do something dramatic to prove that wasn’t true.”

On that controversial attempted rape scene in the show's sixth season:
“It was the hardest day of my professional career. It was a horrible day. I personally don’t like to watch that stuff. I will not go to a movie if I know that’s in there. I will turn the TV off if it pops up. I will pass on auditions if that's what they want me to do, but I was contracted to do it. (Marsters says the storyline came from one of the female writers who threw herself on an ex-boyfriend in college in hopes of him taking her back.) She went to his apartment and was convinced if they made love one more time that everything would be fine. He had to physically push her off and that just crushed her and stuck with her all her life.”




No comments:

Post a Comment