Thursday, October 19, 2017

Kerry Washington Talks Standards of Beauty

Kerry Washington is on the November cover of Allure Magazine. Here’s what she had to say in her accompanying interview:

On looking perfect on screen:
“There’s someone who follows me around all day long [on the set]. Like, literally follows me to make sure there’s not a single hair out of place. This is somebody’s full-time job. Then someone follows me around to add powder so that I never look shinier than I’m supposed to...Friday night’s concealer is very different than Tuesday afternoon’s concealer. They get thicker as the week goes on and you get more exhausted.”

On her hair:
“I like to wear my natural texture, especially now because I have children and I want them to know that their hair is perfect as it is. They don’t have to change it or straighten it. They can, but they don’t have to.”

On producing:

“I’m working now on 24/7, this comedy about three women in the workplace, and Eva Longoria and I are two out of the three. We basically walked into Universal and acted it out for them, and they were like, ‘OK.’  It’s kind of like being the Olivia Pope of television. You get to change people’s lives and fix problems and be grounded and assertive and of service. So it really is a lot of things that I felt Olivia has taught me to do in pretend and then to apply those skills when I produce.”

On staying current on the news:
“I have to dip in and dip out, because it suffocates me. Like, I become unable to function. So it’s a tricky balance between staying aware and also staying connected to a sense of hope and productivity and showing up for life.”

Read the full interview at Allure.




No comments:

Post a Comment