Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Sam Claflin Talks Body Shaming

Former Hunger Games star Sam Claflin recently sat down for an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, where he talked about body shaming. Here's what he had to say:

On insecurity about his looks:
"I read in an interview recently and I think it's absolutely true: men have it just as bad. Well, not just as bad but they get it bad and it's never talked about. I remember doing one job when they literally made me pull my shirt up and were grabbing my fat and going 'you need to lose a bit of weight'. This other time they were slapping me. I felt like a piece of meat.

I'm not saying it's anywhere near as bad as what women go through but I, as an actor approaching each job, am insecure – especially when I have to take my top off in it – and so nervous. I get really worked up to the point where I spend hours and hours in the gym and not eating for weeks to achieve what I think they're going for. In the '50s and '60s, it was never an issue. James Bond never had a six pack. He had a hairy chest.


Marlon Brando​ in A Streetcar Named Desire had an incredible body but he was by no means ripped to within an inch of his life. There's a filter on society that this is normal but actually it's anything but normal."

On being confused for Nicholas Hoult:
"We've had that before. I've met him a couple of times on social occasions and he's a lovely guy. I'm actually a really big fan of his work and he has a tendency to get most jobs I go for. I feel like he has the career I'd like to have. He's had more of an opportunity to branch out from playing leading men. He's played some really, really interesting characters."

On Eddie Redmayne:
"He was a bit earlier than me getting out of the gate. He completely took me under his wing and became a close friend for a while. There are so many roles that I'm not right for and it will go to someone like Eddie Redmayne or Nic Hoult. And I'll go 'that's much better.' I'm happy for the project that they've got it."

No comments:

Post a Comment