Monday, June 5, 2017

Jon Hamm Discovers That It's Hard Out There For a Pimp

Jon Hamm recently sat down for an interview with In Style Magazine. Here are some of the highlights:

On the single life:
“It’s fine. It’s hard. It’s hard to be single after being together for a long time. It’s really hard. It sucks...I may be a narcissist in the way that most actors are, but I think it’s not to the detriment of those in my life. I try to be a good friend, a good partner, and all that stuff. I’m not perfect, and it hurts when you hurt other people. But the hope is to find the right balance so you can care about your own stuff enough to live your life and do your job well while also not being a monster.”

On the benefits of therapy:
“Medical attention is medical attention whether it’s for your elbow or for your teeth or for your brain. And it’s important. We live in a world where to admit anything negative about yourself is seen as a weakness, when it’s actually a strength. It’s not a weak move to say, ‘I need help.’ In the long run it’s way better, because you have to fix it.

I’m certainly damaged—there’s no denying it. I was talking to my therapist yesterday, and she was newly flabbergasted at something I told her. I think she’d just forgotten it. I was like, ‘We’ve already gone through this!’ But if you look at the history of my life, it’s not great. When your mom dies when you’re 9, and your dad dies when you’re 20, and then you live on couches in other people’s basements … I mean, there’s certainly a version of that person who does not come out of it as successfully as I have.”

On whether or not he pays attention to what women wear:
“I do, man. I’m a heterosexual male, and I love a lady with style. I think anything that serves to accentuate whatever your thing is and makes you feel good shows in the way you carry yourself.”

On social media (and why he's not on it):
“The point of life is not to put dog ears on yourself and post it online for everyone to see. It’s fun, it’s adorable, but it’s the visual equivalent of masturbating—there’s no point other than immediate gratification.”

On being in the presence of a good work of art:
“I’m just blown away by the beauty of it all. Especially when I see anybody performing at the peak of their ability. I see it, and I fucking weep.”

On Mad Men:
“We all want to be involved in something that takes hold of the culture and makes people sit up and say, ‘Hey, that’s interesting.’ Actually, that’s all I ever wanted. I never wanted to be a Tom Cruise type of megastar.”

No comments:

Post a Comment