Monday, March 6, 2017

Shirley MacLaine Likes Playing Bitches

Shirley MacLaine, 82, recently sat down for an interview with Page Six while promoting her new movie The Last Word. Here's what she had to say:

On the expectations of women of her generation:
“I asked my own mother once, ‘What are we supposed to be?' She said, ‘You’re supposed to have nice hair and nice clothes and look pretty.’ She really said that to me.”

On how starting ballet at the age of 3 taught her strength"
“If you can get through a ballet class every day of your life when you start at 3 … I’m just putting this together as a matter of fact … If you can do that starting at 3, then you are confident. I wasn’t like the other girls who were out there trying to be pleasing. I was in class trying to be strong and survive.”

On her role choices:
“I love playing bitches. I love the whole idea of being so impossible that it’s funny.”

On getting scolded by the studio for gaining weight during "The Trouble With Harry," because she kept dining with Alfred Hitchcock:
“Look, I wasn’t tall, thin, blonde, ethereal, and all that stuff that was essential for men to jump on. Hitch wasn’t interested in me, but, he was interested in me as a food partner. So, he insisted I have every meal with him. I think I gained 20 pounds. I was just out of the chorus; I hadn’t had a full meal in years!”

No comments:

Post a Comment