Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Ryan Adams Talks Divorce

Ryan Adams recently sat down for an interview with Rolling Stone in anticipation of his LP release Prisoner, where he talked about his divorce from Mandy Moore among other things. Here are some of the highlights from the interview:

On divorce: 
"It doesn't matter who I was married to. People do not get married to fucking get divorced. There is a fail in it that cannot be described. Especially when neither person would ever have wanted to cause the harm that is, unfortunately, the side dish to that emotional dark meal." 

On being self-reliant, and emaciating himself from his parents at 17:

"I wasn't overqualified, having written sad songs, to go through that in my personal life. I see this beautiful and tragic world, and I do my best to describe it, because it's been crushing to me since I was a kid. It seems to be how I connect."

On making Prisoner, starting in 2015:
"I needed to get out of fucking L.A. for a minute, because I didn't really want to be here waiting for somebody to take my photo or for something to get weird. I didn't edit. I let myself go free in my mind. I wanted to go even further into writing simple lines, like Eighties Bruce Springsteen. I could hear the radio in that backroom at G-Ma's house. I could see the sunlight coming through the window, and I could hear [Springsteen's] 'Jungleland' playing. I could feel all those elements. And it felt good to be fragile and a little crushed.

This record was not born of sadness, and I was not crying. I was elated. Very stoned. And very free in those moments. I could fall asleep at 10:30 watching Hill Street Blues. I might wake up at 1 a.m. and have a riff in my head. I go into the living room and my [Fender] Jazzmaster's sitting there and it's already plugged in. I play a little bit. Smoke a bowl. Go back upstairs. Fall asleep. I'm free! I'm flying with my muse. And I'm open for business. People call me and they want talk, they need to get something off their mind, I got all the time in the world for them. It's fucking great."

No comments:

Post a Comment