Friday, March 10, 2017

Ed Sheeran Wants That Simple Kind of Life

Ed Sheeran is on the cover of Rolling Stone; here are some highlights from the accompanying interview:

On drinking heavily while touring with Taylor Swift in 2013:
"I was on the most amazing fucking tour in the world. I was just living in a country that I didn't belong in, in a town I didn't really know anyone...I was this 22-year-old awkward British kid going on tour with the biggest artist in America, who has all these famous mates. It was very easy. … I would often find myself in situations just kind of waking up and looking over and being like, 'How the fuck did that happen?' "

On his friendship with Taylor Swift:
"She would be there if everything ended for me. Taylor is kind of an anomaly in that sense...She's omnipresent [in the press] because she's the most famous woman in the world, so she can't make the decision to not be in the press. I always stick up for Taylor."

On Twitter criticisms:
"Everyone online was saying, 'Ed's going bald.' And I'm not. But I convinced myself that I was. Ginger hair is just very fair – my hair is completely fine. I was also quite big at the time, so I kind of got a complex about two things I would have never given a fuck about."

On losing friends after appearing in Forbes, where they reported he earned $57 million in 2015 (also the reason he ditched his cell phone):
"The Forbes list actually fucked it up. I was getting texts from people with pictures of cars going, 'I'd like this for my birthday, please. This one's only .06 percent of your annual income.'"

On not being popular with critics:
"I could give a fuck about what people think. Anytime anyone has a problem with me, I'm just like, 'My heroes like me. The people I started music for are fans of my music. So why the fuck would I care about what anyone else thinks?' "

On insecurity:
"Most ginger-haired people I know are very outgoing and comedic. They basically say the joke before you can. Like, my first album is orange. There's a reason it's orange – I'm getting there before you can...The whole musician thing kind of comes from wanting to be loved and wanting to be liked."

On whether or not he drinks too much:
"Often, I'm like, 'Is it bad that I drink almost every single day?' And then I look at my friends and most of them do the same. And they're actually worse than me. The first thing Americans say is, 'There's a problem, and you need to go to rehab.' But I don't wake up and drink. I don't depend on drink. I can go without it completely. I just enjoy going out and having fun, being 25. And I think that's a normal thing."

On the future:
"It's awesome meeting famous people. But that's not life. That's not reality. One day this will fucking end. And I know the one person that's going to remain constant is Cherry. I should just enjoy this while it's there, but not let it become my reality. Because that's not the reality I want to live in."

Read the full interview at Rolling Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment