Thursday, December 15, 2016

Emile Hirsch Talks Sobriety

Emile Hirsch recently appeared on the podcast Happy Sad Confused for his first interview since his arrest at the Sundance Film Festival in 2015. Here's what he had to say, as reprinted by E! News:

"I'm still just so sorry for what happened and still just shocked even that it happened. Also, grateful in a way that you know it gave me an opportunity to make my life a lot better and to do some of the things that helped me in finding ways of just clarity. I went to rehab. I was able to really clean that side of myself up. Just discovering that you know problems with alcohol and bingeing on alcohol and other drugs. These are problems that I was able to see a lot of people face, and maybe I didn't quite realize that before or identify that in that way."

On how this has impacted his relationship with 3-year-old son, Valor:
"Just getting that handled in my life just improved my life in so many ways as difficult as the and the unfortunate as that whole thing was, I'm grateful that I was able to really move forward and improve my life for my son. I'm just so much more present and there for him and that means so much to me. And the quality of just days and not waking up hungover and not knowing what happened or something like that. The stuff is strong."

On rehab:
"I've talked to a lot of people and there's a lot of people who struggle with addiction. And if anything positive can come of it, it would just be getting a little bit more awareness because sometimes you need to hear someone say something about it and be like, 'Your life doesn't have to be this way. You don't have to be like, oh yeah everyone's going out drinking and I have to too because that's the way it is.' But I'm different why do I drink so much more than everyone else? Why does it get to that place? I just have to deal with those consequences. Being in rehab and then jail afterwards I was able to see that it didn't matter if you were an actor or a bar hand or whatever. A lot of people would have problems in that world. It's sort of an equalizer you could say."

On sobriety:
"It means a lot to me to be able to sit here and to really know how much more improved that I've been able to make my life, not just for myself but for my son but for the rest of my family and my friends. I put friends and family and people like that I put them first in my life and I'm able to do that so much more now. When I found that kind of clarity it really improved the quality of my work and the experience of making films. It was so much more fun." 

No comments:

Post a Comment