Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Gina Rodriguez Opens Up About Hashimoto's Disease

Last month, Zoe Saldana revealed her Hashimoto's diagnosis, and this month it's Jane the Virgin star Gina Rodriguez's turn. She is on the cover of this month's Health Magazine; here's what she has to say:

You've talked about having Hashimoto's disease, the most common cause of underactive thyroid. What helps you handle it?
"If I can at least walk for 30 minutes a day, it's extremely helpful for my thyroid gland. Running, boxing, jump rope, and hitting the heavy bag are my workout constants. It's always been a battle for me with weight. Keeping weight off is very difficult because my metabolism is pretty much shot, which to me felt like a curse when I was 19. As an actress, I was like, 'Seriously?! In a world that's so vain, I have to deal with the disease that makes you not keep weight off?' But it actually became a blessing because then I got to represent not only women and Latinas but also women who are dealing with this disease. I'm gluten-free, which is the most difficult thing in the world because, like Oprah, I love bread! [Laughs] I definitely eat gluten-free bread every day."

How do you avoid snacking while on set?
"It's mind over matter because they put out doughnuts every morning, and they smell divine. I have to look at gluten like, 'Yeah, I want to eat that. Of course I do, but it doesn't make me feel good. And I want to feel good.'"

When do you feel sexiest?
"When I'm making people laugh, I feel like a little sex goddess. I feel sexy when I look at myself in the mirror and that voice shuts up, so I can see every part of me and love it. It's so interesting how we'll avoid mirrors. But it should be like, 'No, man, this is you, and this is exactly the way it should be.'"

My can't-live-without beauty product... "Tom Ford anything."

I would love... "Jenna Ortega to star in the movie of my life (as she gets older)."

My celebrity crush is... "Tom Hardy. Delicious."

The last live concert I saw was... "Radiohead, with my cast of Annihilation. Thank you, Natalie Portman, for the tickets. It was insane!"

My favorite drink is... "Baileys on ice. I know—I'm a grandma."

I'm terrified of... "Allowing fear to prevent me from trying. Oh, and the dentist."

The best red carpet style-setter is... "Kerry Washington. So elegant."

My go-to indulgences... "Dates. I love dates!"

My favorite jeans are... "The ones that fit my body best during whatever time of life my body fits in them!"

The weirdest thing I ever ate was... "Cricket in Thailand. Not really trying to do that again. Wait! And fish eyes. My dad used to say they were good luck, or he still does, but I stopped believing—so no more fish eyes for me."

My favorite place in the world... "Wherever my family is. Or Puerto Rico."


Beauty should not be chased but individually embraced. Health belongs to you and looks different for everyone. Your journey won't look like mine and that's ok because discovering your personal Health goals is a lifelong commitment. In a society where we are bombarded by limited images of what defines beauty and strength I am so grateful for those redefining and expanding those images. I am legit speechless to be a part of that movement. Thank you @healthmagazine for gracing me on the September Cover of HEALTH Magazine. Your purchase of this beautiful magazine contributes to my career as well as the desire to see a variety of women gracing covers today and I am so appreciative for how you all continue to uplift, inspire and encourage this movement. Thank you to my incredible photographer @jameswhitefoto for embracing my curves. 🙌🏽🦄😘 #Health
A photo posted by Gina Rodriguez (@hereisgina) on

No comments:

Post a Comment