Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Goop Speaks

Gwyneth Paltrow recently sat down for an interview with Glamour Magazine. Here's what she had to say:

On Friendships:
"If you were to ask me what my biggest success is, it's that. I've been able to maintain and nourish my relationships. As you get older, you choose friends based on not only what feels resonant and warm but if they're bringing something to your life. My women friends are incredibly intelligent. There's no posturing, no competition. Especially in Los Angeles, I see pockets of friends who are very competitive, and I think, What is the point? I would rather be alone in bed with a book than have a girlfriend who is like that."

On her new skincare line with Juice Beauty:
"With the skin care line, I'm a little bit nuts. There's no point in making something unless it's better than anything you've ever found. So I gave everyone [at Juice] a run for their money. My head of beauty started calling me the Princess and the Pea; one time we agreed on a sample, and I said, 'Perfect.' Then another sample of it came, and I was like, 'They changed it.' Some preservative changed, I could tell, and they were like, “Shit.” [Laughs.] But in the end, I'm proud of what we were able to do. This is effective, luxurious, and completely organic…. You could eat it."

On negative energy:
"Sometimes I'll get annoyed if someone's like, 'Goop is so expensive.' I'm like, 'Have you looked at the website? Have you seen the range of price points? 'Cause we sell things that are $8.' I'm like, 'If you want to fuck with me, bring your A-game. At least have all your information.' Once in a while, if I'm exhausted and overwhelmed, I'll be like, 'Ugh, that bugs me,' or, 'That hurt my feelings.' But very rarely. I don't lose sleep over it. It's my business to live my life and learn my lessons. I don't care what anybody else thinks. really, truly. Maybe when I was 25 that would have been different. But I'm 43 years old, and I know who I am, and I own my mistakes. They're my business. And when somebody who doesn't know me has an opinion, it's none of my business."

On being "broke":
"People think, 'She's just a rich kid.' Until I was 18, I was. Then I was broke. I've never taken a dime off my parents. I'm completely self-made...I went to UC Santa Barbara, and when I quit to try to be an actress, my dad was like, 'That's great, but I'm not gonna help you.' I was like, 'Yeah, right.' And he was like, 'No, I'm not.' So I got an apartment with a roommate; I worked as a hostess at a restaurant; I would scrounge quarters to buy Starbucks—and walk there to save gas. I remember once asking my dad for money, like, 'Please, I'm really stuck. Can you help?' And he said, 'You're more than welcome to come over for dinner.' That was it."

On conscious uncoupling:
"Right. And isn't that the ideal? Well, the ideal is to stay married. But if you can't stay married, wouldn't the ideal be that you could still be a family and you could put aside your own stuff long enough to explore—what is this new family and who am I in it? And Chris is a great ex-husband 'cause he's a very, very willing partner in how to do that. We're constantly putting aside our own stuff and trying to reimagine something that we don't personally have an example for...We spend a lot of time together. He's been away for two weeks [promoting his album]. Last night he got in at midnight and slept here so he could surprise the kids in the morning, we could all have breakfast, and he could take them to school. So…we're not living together, but he's more than welcome to be with us whenever he wants. And vice versa: I sleep in his house in Malibu a lot with the kids. We'll have a weekend all together; holidays, we're together. We're still very much a family, even though we don't have a romantic relationship. He's like my brother."

Read the full interview at Glamour.


A photo posted by Gwyneth Paltrow (@gwynethpaltrow) on

No comments:

Post a Comment