Friday, February 5, 2016

Drew Barrymore Not Feeling The Heat

Drew Barrymore recently sat down for an interview with Harper's Bazaar, where she talked about not feeling so hot at the moment. The magazine quotes her as follows:

"I don't think I'm hot right now necessarily, because I have all my irons in a bunch of different fires. I'm writing. I'm doing makeup. I'm doing design. I'm expanding Flower into different categories. I think it's a huge mistake to think you have to burn bright for your whole life. You cannot sustain it. It's exhausting, and it's not very realistic...Hot is a state of mind. It's an energy. You're hot when you're motivated. It means you want it and you're going after it. Hot isn't about being on the A-list or having a hot body. It's literally people who are on fire. Like Lena Dunham is on fire. Amy Schumer. Louis C.K. I think their brands of comedy and observational life stuff are some of the coolest I've seen in so many years."

On a typical day:
"Well, I have one of two days. One is really with my kids. Wake up, breakfast, activities, naps, activities, bath, and bed. Same as every parent—trying to make life fun for them, exhaust them, love them, feed them, be affectionate, be silly, and just be present. And drink a lot of caffeine. Another day could be in a lab or on a plane for a two-day jaunt on a business trip. My days are rarely mixed together. I probably subconsciously do that so I can maximize my time with my kids."

Reminiscing about her "Firestarter Face":
"I always said, 'Back off. Back off. Just back off, and don't make me angry.' Then I would clench my fists and scrunch my face a little bit and breathe rapidly, focus my eyes on something, and then blow it up. And although I'm such a peacekeeping hippie, I wish I had that power every once in a while. I totally wish I could blow some stuff up with my eyes."

On the picture of Barrymore lighting Steven King's cigarette at the Firestarter premiere:
"People were like, 'Oh, that would be funny.' I don't even know if he was a smoker or not. Somehow when you have a young girl, things are sort of excused. … But I think it's even cooler now. It's such an awesome picture...Stephen would come around. And I got to be in his office, that famous attic he writes in that's on the cover of his book On Writing. It was just a very cool time, and not in Hollywood."


No comments:

Post a Comment