Thursday, July 16, 2015

Zoe Kravitz Talks Typecasting And Famous Parents

Zoe Kravitz recently sat down for an interview with Nylon magazine. The publication quotes her as follows:

On getting passed over for roles:
"I the last Batman movie, they told me that I couldn't get an audition for a small role they were casting because they weren't 'going urban.' It was like, 'What does that have to do with anything?' I have to play the role like, 'Yo, what's up, Batman? What's going on wit chu?'"

On not wanting to be typecast:
"I don't want to play everyone's best friend. I don't want to play the role of a girl struggling in the ghetto. It's not that that story isn't important, but I saw patterns and was like, 'I don't relate to these people.'"

On growing up with celebrity parents (Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz):

"We had a chef, but it was never like, 'This is the way the world works, Zoƫ.' I knew we were very lucky, and my dad raised me in an old-school way. His mom was from the Bahamas, and it was about manners and making the bed. It's that old black shit, really -- like you get smacked if you talk the wrong way. It was about having respect for your elders and being thankful for what we had. He wanted to make sure I had chores and not because we didn't have a housekeeper, but because of the principle of the thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment